Thursday, April 17, 2014

Boxy Button-Down to a Blouse with Fun Details!

Hello!

I would like to introduce myself to all of you lovely Refashion Co-op readers because this is my first project!  My name is Diane and I blog at Vintage Zest where I share many of my different creative outlets, such as sewing, cooking, crafting, travel, and more!


Today's garment is a blouse that I made for the latest challenge for my online Facebook sewing group, Stitch Once, Rip Twice.  Our latest challenge was a Simple Top, and I knew that I had to make something nice and breezy for the 80°F weather we have been having here in Southern California!

Read on for all of the details, including how I turned a huge mishap into a fashionable detail and how this only cost me $1!


Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!


Initially, I searched through my regular fabric stash, but I didn't like any of the fabrics.  Eventually, I headed to my $1 swap meet garment stash and found this blouse with the tags still on it.  Perfect!


Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!
See, there's a little blue tag on the left arm.  Never worn!


I decided to turn the shirt around so the buttons would be in the back, which was just like another refashion I did before joining here.


Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!


This is the final garment!  I love the blouse.  :)



Before, I just wanted a simple top, but I ended up having to make a pocket.  Why?  I actually accidentally cut right through the fabric while taking the blouse apart.  Eek!  Complications!  There was a huge V cut over the left chest, so I needed to add a pocket after I patched it up.  Actually, part of me wants to make the pocket a contrasting black fabric instead, which I may revisit later.


Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!


Another minor detail came about from the small amount of fabric that I had to work with in the underarm area, but it ended up okay!

To see all of the close-ups, click on over to my full post!


********************


Lastly, for the only detailed that I actually planned, I decided to "borrow" the original cuff and the buttons.  This is one of my more favorite parts of the blouse and I did not even have to use my buttonhole foot!


Challenge #5: A (Refashioned) Simple Top!: Diane's Vintage Zest!


For more details on the pattern I used and close-ups of the details or to just say hello, click on over to Vintage Zest!

I'm so happy to be here with all of you, and I hope that my first post was a good one.  :)  Thanks for having me!


Lastly, a question for all of you refashionistas: Should I keep the pocket I have or trade it in for a contrasting black fabric?


2 comments:

Sandy said...

Looks good!
On the pocket colour. I suppose it depends on whether you are ample up there or not.
So, for me, if I had to have a pocket, I would go for blending in. But others might like a bit of extra visual weight there.
Sandy in the UK

Andrea said...

Oh, I love the pattern on this blouse! And the sweet detail of the back :) Love it with the pocket as it is, but could see it working in a contrast color as well!

One quick note: When adding labels to your post, we ask that you only use your username Vintage Zest. The other labels are for editors' use only :) Any questions about the posting guidelines, you can click on them at the top of the home page or email any of the editors on duty! Thanks :)

Andrea EOD